I have always loved to cook and bake for parties. I have always loved to host parties. After food allergies came into our lives, I became a bit apprehensive in this area. However, with time and healing from the post traumatic stress of TJ’s first anaphylactic reaction, I embrace them again. I also embrace a tasty new allergy-safe recipe that could be used for the parties we now host again. One example of this was a chicken recipe that we made for his third birthday party, sweet and tangy chicken.
So here it is:
- 1-2 bottles of sesame teriyaki sauce or a sauce of your choice(We used Organicville brand) Sauce Website
- 1-2 cans of organic pineapple chunks with juice or a fresh pineapple (chopped up 3/4 of the pineapple and put the other 1/4 of it in the Vitamix or blender of choice to make your juice
- 1 green or red pepper chopped
- 1-2 onion chopped (I like onions and usually had some extra
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 boneless skinless organic chicken breasts
- Mix teriyaki sauce with pineapple chunks, juice, pepper, onion and garlic.
- Place 4 pieces of chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker
- Pour half of the sauce over it.
- Place the other four chicken breasts on top.
- Pour the rest of the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.
- Start with one bottle of the sauce when cooking. Then, add the second bottle to taste.
- Note: This sauce has sesame. Sesame is the 9th most common food allergy in our country and now an allergy in our house too. Substitute with a sauce that will work with your family and their needs. We know we will be doing just that the next time we make this so that Madi can enjoy too.
- Note 2: Always make sure to check and double check every ingredient to make sure it is safe for you and your own family. Remember to label read even if you have already used the product before. Companies do change the make up of their products sometimes so it is in the best interest of everyone to always check.
What a simple, but tasty recipe that all guests will devour. It may even give you some extra time out of the messy kitchen, to mingle and enjoy too. This is an area I’m still working on…